Sunday 1 December 2013

People watch how I dress — Powede Lawrence BY KEMI LAWAL

Powede Lawrence

Powede Lawrence is the current Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria, Tourism. In this interview, she talks about her life and the crown
Q: Tell us a bit about yourself?
A: My name is Powede Lawrence. One of my parents is from Bayelsa and the other is from Lagos State. Growing up, I was and am still closer to my Bayelsan root. That is why I always say I am an Ijaw girl. I am 22 years old and in my fifth year studying Nursing at the Niger Delta University. I have five elder brothers and I am the last child and only girl. I used to be a tomboy when I was much younger. Then, I used to think I was tough and no one could intimidate me. But along the way, my mother made me realise I was a lady and could not continue to behave like a boy.
Q: Why did you choose to study nursing?
A: I settled for nursing because I have always wanted to do it, even as a child. I felt the need to give back to society and studying nursing would allow me to devote my life to serving humanity. As a child, I had Mother Theresa as my role model and since I could not be a nun, I just felt this was the best way I can impact on the society. I derive joy in making people smile and happy.  It’s only painful that in Nigeria, nurses are not viewed as an important part of the health sector. A lot of people don’t understand that nurses are actually the hub of the health sector.
Q: As a queen, do you have a pet project?
A: Yes and the focus of my personal project is on people living with physical disabilities. ten per cent of Nigerians are physically challenged and people don’t like to see them as part of us. They made us proud at the last Olympics compared to the able-bodied athletes.  I am also working with the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria organisation on sickle cell because most people are aware of sickle cell disorder. More sickle cell carriers are being born daily.
Q: Have you put your education on hold to attend to your duties as a beauty queen?
A: I have not put education on hold because it goes hand in hand with my duties as a beauty queen. I can multitask. I still attend classes and my lecturers, colleagues and patients, who recognise me, tend to treat me differently. Sometimes, it is embarrassing especially when with my patients but at the same time, it makes them open up to me more. It has not all been rosy because some of my colleagues believe that a nurse is not supposed to go into pageantry.
Q: Is this your first time of participating in a pageant?
A: I started taking part in pageants in 2008. I started with Miss African Queen where I made it to the top 10. In 2009, I was the first runner-up Miss Niger Delta University and I was chosen to represent my school in Miss University Nigeria and I won. By virtue of that, I went to represent Nigeria in Miss University Africa and I won in 2010. Because I wanted something that could give me an international leverage, I decided to go for MBGN. As Miss Tourism MBGN, I will be representing Nigeria at Miss Tourism International.
Q: How did you feel losing the top prize to Anna Banner?
A: I was aiming for MBGN World but you know when you have your own plans, God also has his own plans which are always better. Being MBGN Tourism is a major achievement because a lot of ladies did not even make it to the finals. I not only made it to the finals, I made to the top three and I know a lot of ladies will kill to be in my shoes.
Q: Has the crown changed your life in any way?
A: Even though I have been a beauty queen before, this one is different in terms of the level of exposure it has brought my way. A lot more people see me as a role model and I have had to be careful with the way I live my life because people are watching. I have to be mindful of the way I appear in public. Gone are the days when I could just wear anything and leave my house. I have to appear queenly and be graceful in my carriage.
Q: How do you deal with love advances from the opposite sex?
A: Men will always come but as a woman, you should devise a means of warding them off politely. I am not in a relationship but when the time comes, he has to be God-fearing and hardworking.
Q: How do you like to dress?
A: I like to look classy and chic. I love dresses and court shoes but sometimes I like to wear jeans. The way I dress is determined by where I am going, time of the day and season of the year. Lately, I have been a fan of accessories, especially wristwatches. I also love to put on make-up.
Q: How do you unwind?
A: I like to sit back, watch a movie and listen to music. I am more of a home girl as opposed to being gregarious.
Q: How do you keep fit?
A: A lot of my friends say I like food but the truth is I watch what I eat. I take food rich in fibre, vegetables and vitamins. I take only food that would help my skin to glow, flush out the toxins in my body. I also like to exercise even if it means strolling when the sun is not baring its fangs.
Q: Do you have a beauty routine?
A: I take my bath twice a day and make sure I cleanse my face daily.
Q: What are your best features?
A: My best feature is my smile and it says a lot about me. My smile helps my patients to relax and allays their anxiety.
Q: What are the hardest things about being in the limelight?
A: Not being able to act as you wish in the public. I can’t go to certain places and I have to take permission to go to some places. While some of my friends understand this fact, others don’t and think I am being full of myself.

Source : Punch Nigeria
Via; @FreshMindWorld

No comments:

Post a Comment