Wednesday 9 September 2015

I Am Not A Role Model -Loose Kaynon

Chocolate City rapper, Loose Kaynon, has maintained that he is a regular guy, as opposed to insinuations by some that he is a role model. In an exclusive chat with Naij.com, he talked about his art, as well as his slightly bohemian nature.

The bearded rapper believes the hip hop scene in Nigeria has promising features and chances of achieving greater heights.
He said: “The art is growing and I don’t feel the need to rush things. But as for international collaborations, I think I’ll like one with Lauryn Hill.”
The rapper, born Joakin Ikazoboh, said he didn’t feel the urge to hide any part of himself in his music but speaks his mind regardless of who gets hurt.

“I’m a regular guy, basically. I am not a role model. I’m just a guy who’s got a mic in front of him. I try to be as honest as possible on my records… but then again the fact that songs are censored today doesn’t mean they won’t get out. Because that it’s not on terrestrial TV doesn’t mean they won’t find it. I try to be me, to do the best I can to touch key areas with my fans. But above all, I try to leave a message when I can.”
On comparisons with Rick Ross, he smiled: “I dunno. I guess it’s just cuz of the beards thing.”

Many people may not know how much the rapper has given to the industry because he isn’t as popular as his contemporaries. But real hip hop heads pay attention when his name pops up in a conversation because they have been following his craft.

Reacting to this, the rapper said: “Me and a few folks started Wax Lyrical, the popular hip hop freestyle show, back then at Koko Lounge, Lagos. We used to have a great deal of hip hop guys come through and just do their thing. It was mad fun. But I stopped because the management weren’t willing to pay me.

“We had the late DaGrin on stage a number of times and he was a cool guy who really just came on there, did his thing and then (he would) go back to his corner and sip his drink. Olamide got one of his biggest career openers on that stage as well, as he would come on and freestyle his songs every other week before he became this popular.

“He saw me once, back in the day and tried to bow and thank me and I am like ‘yo, this was never about me, this was just about like minds coming together and doing big things with the music. You see, these are things that make one proud. I can’t take any praises because if I can succeed in making even just one person great by virtue of Wax Lyrical, then I think my job here is over.”

Loose Kaynon hails from Edo State and has a number of buzzing singles such as ‘Halleluyah’ and ‘Aka Na Enu’ featuring Phyno, among others. He is signed to Chocolate City, which is currently under the aegis of MI Abaga, who acts in the capacity of Chief Executive Officer.

Via @FreshMindWorld

No comments:

Post a Comment