Saturday 30 August 2014

Top four, Manchester United’s target – Van Gaal

Louis van Gaal has set Manchester United an
initial target of a top-four finish in this season’s
Premier League.
United’s new manager is yet to deliver a
competitive victory and suffered the indignity of
a 4-0 defeat at League One MK Dons in
Tuesday’s Capital One Cup tie.
Neither that setback, nor a return of just one
Premier League point from two games, has
dented the Dutchman’s confidence and he
remains convinced he can bring a new era of
domestic and European success to Old Trafford.
Van Gaal is even refusing to rule out a title
challenge this season, but ahead of Saturday’s
trip to Burnley he has again stressed it will take
time to rebuild United’s squad and successfully
implement his methods.
He said: “Before September 1, I have given every
player a reasonable chance – it would not have
been good to come as a new manager and say ‘I
want 11 new players’. The process needs time
and we are building up a new team.
“I hope we shall succeed and that we are this
year in the top four, because the Champions
League suits a club like Manchester United.
“Then maybe the next step is to be champions
and the next step after that is to be winner of
the Champions League, but that needs time. A
lot of clubs fight for many, many years and
never succeed.
“We can still be the champions of England in my
first year. Maybe you will laugh but in my former
clubs I have started like this so for me it is not
big news.”
Van Gaal reminded the press of the positive
reports which accompanied United’s successful
pre-season tour of the United States, where
Roma, Real Madrid and Liverpool were all
defeated.
He said: “I was a king in the United States, and
now I am not a king any more? I am the same
Louis van Gaal with the same record and the
same philosophy, and I am very confident I shall
succeed here.

Source; Punch Nigeria

Via; @FreshMindWorld

No comments:

Post a Comment